Fascinated by Japan’s rich and colorful culture? Do you want a fulfilling job that will widen your horizon? Teaching English in Japan might be a best plan.


Check out these English teaching opportunities in the land of the rising sun!



these are schools in Japan that specialize in business and conversation English.  These are also known as cram schools for learning English. There are actually two types of Eikaiwas in Japan:Big Chain and Small Individual. Big Chain Eikaiwas are located in main cities therefore it commonly offers better pay, however the competition is high and replacement of English teachers is fairly usual. Small Individual Eikaiwas  in the other hand are located in rural areas, you’ll have more freedom in organizing your lesson plans and implementing your classes, however the stability of the Small chain Eikaiwas might not be guaranteed.


Government English Schools

Public kindergarten, Elementary and High Schools are owned by Japan’s Ministry of Education. Japanese English Programs such as JET should be taken to be able to apply for public schools. You’ll have a better pay and stable career with decent benefits and tax exemption (if you haven’t worked in Japan for 2 years already).


Private English Schools

Privately owned schools are tuition based so if you have a business-minded, private English schools in Japan is a good choice for you. But of course, being flexible is very important since students will vary in age groups and gender, your teaching schedule may also change from time to time so if you are more into adventure and if you’re easy to adapt, then private English Schools are the one for you.


One-on-One lessons

Also known as Private lessons, English teachers who offer private lessons usually have adults and parents as clients. The adults might include individuals who want to work abroad, businessmen and international students. Parents oftentimes would want to speed up their child’s English skills due to migrating to an English-speaking country or securing the requirement to enter an international university overseas. You can earn up to $25 per hour or depending in your credentials and experience.



Teaching English in a university will provide you a very handsome pay but yes, it should match up with your educational attainment and qualifications. Having a Master’s degree is much preferred along with certifications from CELTA and TEFL. Due to high competition, gaining experience, more certifications and awards is much advisable.


Previous post

ESL in Japan: Why Signing-up for the JET Program is the Smartest Move to Make

Next post

Mentor Program - How all StudyWide Members Benefit from this New Feature